Friday, August 18, 2006

Make it on my own, my own way...

Here is a quote from Christina Aguilera that a friend of mine passed to me and asked me what I think of her comments and how I would respond to them.

"I think there was something that was instilled in me in a really,really young age, probably far before I was even ten years old, just witnessing a lot of the abuse that had happened in my household when Iwas a child. I think that whole experience, instead of making me wantto repeat that cycle or cower down to a man and whatnot, it made mereally feel this sense of power to never ever want to feel helpless toa man, to never ever want to need to ask anyone for anything. I wasgoing to make do on my own in my own way, and I think really thatwhole experience really pushed me and drove me to be where I'm attoday, I really really do. I think a lot of the experiences and a lotof the hard times that I've gone through in growing up have helped to instill in me a drive to thrive off of the bad instead of stopping me and cowering down to anybody or anything."(source: http://www.christina-a.net/)

I think that these comments are all to characteristic of not only superstars but also of the girls and ladies that we are sitting beside in our churches today. There are so many women who have been hurt and abused and neglected by others so their response is to withdraw and decide that they will make it all on their own and that they don't need anyone else to help them. Oh, how this is not true.

The Lord has created us to be women and that is a good thing. We are created in such a way to be a help mate to our husbands ( Genesis 2). We are to compliment all that God has created our husbands to do and therefore we fulfill our roles as women. Just as we have very specific roles as women and we can fulfill them in a way that glorifies the Lord!

And this also includes single ladies!! I have several single friends right now who are embracing their God given role as a woman and they are serving their chuch wholeheartedly and working with other families to serve them while earnestly waiting for their own family or faithfully praying that the Lord would direct them to the next area of service in His church enabling them to fulfill their role as a single.

So to think that as a woman we are created to go at this life alone is a farce. We are created to be a helpmate by God the Creator. We are able to complete this role as a married woman through faithfully loving our husband and children and serving the church or as a single woman by faithfully loving the church and serving a family in the church as your own.

I pray that we are able to embrace the call to be true women. It is a blessing for sure!

No comments: