Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Questions of the Day

We were blessed with a child before most of our friends began thinking about having babies! So there are many days that my phone rings or I receive a Facebook message wanting advice on a certain child rearing subject. I thought that it might be helpful to share some of the answers here.

!!!Now, here comes the disclaimer!!!

I am NOT an expert in anything at all! But I do have 3 children and lots of opinions. :) I am happy to share the answers to the questions based on my opinions, scripture and advice I have been given by older women. So just read this BEFORE you believe this is the Gospel truth and if you don't do exactly as I say then you are a failure. Far from the truth my friend.

So here is today's question

Received last night during a stressful shopping trip.

1. Do your kids sometimes act as if they have never been in public? What do I do?

Ha! are you kidding me! All of the time. I think we sometimes think that as moms we will discipline our children for a time and then they will trust in Christ and be holy and never need to be corrected again. At least I think this way now and then!

Yes, my children seem to move along understanding the culture of our home and following us in obedience and then WHAM! this happens...

We are nearing the end of my husband's final semester as a PhD student so family meals are scattered at times because of schedules and spring sports. Last night we were determined to have a family meal at the table. It was delightful. The children were all gobbling up the dinner and the conversation was great and then right in the middle of dinner my 9 year old PASSED GAS at the table.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

He knows beyond a shadow of doubt that this is unacceptable at our table. Yet, he did it and without much remorse!

So the answer to the question is YES! My children need constant reminders of how to obey and what is expected of them. They need gentle reminders in most situations. And they need for me to follow through with discipline when I threaten it! I often feel that if I have told them once then they will always remember and obey perfectly. But we all need reminders of obedience and what is expected from us. So let us be reminded to continue with loving discipline of our children and to not grow weary.


Let us not lose heart in doing good,
for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

Galatians 6:9


No comments: